August 17, 2017, 03:44:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Crossfire Coffeehouse

Poll

Does the Coffeehouse still need to stay open?

Yes
3 (75%)
No
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Does the Coffeehouse still need to stay open?  (Read 8242 times)

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Crossfire Coffeehouse
Does the Coffeehouse still need to stay open?
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
If viewing this from the main page, click the heading above to see the poll...

Personally I think it's run it's course.  The Coffeehouse was almost a necessity when all our kids were younger, and social media sites were still in their infancy (MySpace anyone?).  The kids grew up though, and there isn't much happening here that can't be done just as easily on Facebook.  The user database crash I had a couple of months ago was quite telling too, as most people who lost their accounts haven't bothered to re-create them. 

As admins, Bethers and I still have daily maintenance tasks to keep the Coffeehouse running and spam-free, and I'm not sure I see the point anymore.  Please cast your vote, and if you feel strongly one way or the other, please leave a comment.  If nobody feels strongly that the Coffeehouse needs to stay open, I'll shut it down at the end of 2013.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:30:45 PM by David »

Offline JaneS

• Covenant
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Coffeehouse still need to stay open?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
David, It is a lot of work for you and if you aren't seeing much traffic, then maybe it's time to give your attention to something else... isn't there always something else calling us? I completely understand if you want to close it down. You have provided this awesome service to us for many years and I am grateful for all you have done.

Offline SueP

• Covenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »
I'm O.K. if you don't think it is worth your time anymore.  I will miss it but I don't go to it often and I completely understand. 

Offline John Cote Sr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
David, I will miss the chess games. - Even thouigh I did NOT participate in any of the other topics --- I DID read them. I know that it is a lot of work and will unrstand and support whatever decision that you arrive at.

Peace and God Bless my friend

John

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Crossfire Coffeehouse
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
I will very likely be moving the chess software over to the Archbishop Williams Assembly website, which you are welcome to join John.  You're not a member of the AWA, but you are a 4th degree Knight, right?

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Crossfire Coffeehouse
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Well, I'm going to leave the Coffeehouse running, but I just turned off new registrations.  That will eliminate the daily work that Beth and I have to do battling the spammers, and also remove the possibility of any of that rotten SPAM sneaking through like it does.  I have always tried to get rid of the SPAM as quickly as possible, but I hate that it's ever there at all.

This will let those of you who already have accounts continue to use the website, and John Cote and I can keep playing chess. :)  If anyone who does not have an account on the Coffeehouse wants one, it means I have to set it up manually for them, which I'm happy to do since it's a LOT less work than fighting spammers.

Happy New Year all!

Offline JaneS

• Covenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
Thank you, David. I will be gaming still! Happy New Year!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.4 © 2008-2011, SimplePortal